Is your family…
- Looking for a bar or bat mitzvah for a child with no Hebrew skills?
- Not interested in synagogue services and membership?
- Too busy to drive a child to Hebrew tutoring?
- Looking for a tutor who will relate to your child and help them feel motivated?
Kehillah’s approach helps families and kids of all kinds to have the ceremony that is meaningful to them. Our program is less about telling you what to do, and more about us listening to your needs.
Meet Edva Kashi, Your B’Nai Mitzvah Tutor
How Our Programs Works
We offer two plans for our students: condensed or comprehensive.
Our curriculum focuses on Jewish values, history, and culture, and can be tailored to your child’s interests. We also provide online resources and activities for extra enrichment.
Every student receives:
- Access to the learning portal
- 90 minutes of one-on-one tutoring per month from a skilled, compassionate Jewish educator
- Regular check-ins with parents (phone, text, and email support)
- Customized ceremony, including a printable siddur (service booklet)
- Participation of the tutor in the ceremony if desired
Condensed Program: Four Months
- Four lessons that are less Hebrew, prayer/liturgy focused and more focused on Jewish values and culture
- Students learn about the holidays and calendar, Jewish history and about their torah portion
- Great for a family who wants to impart Jewish identity to their children without spending time to learn to read from a torah
- $500 one time fee (add $400 for the rabbi and ceremonial use of a sefer torah if it would be meaningful for your family)
Comprehensive Program: Up to One Year
- Twelve lessons (one per month) that help your child go deeper into their Jewish learning
- Our Jewish values based curriculum that will also include an emphasis on classical Hebrew prayers
- A thirteenth “dress rehearsal” tutoring session to help your child feel comfortable about their ceremony
- Great for families who want a robust Jewish education for their child and a ceremony that includes more customary ritual and prayer elements
- $300 per month for twelve months (add $400 for the rabbi and use of a sefer torah if the child wants to read from it at all)
New Option: Learning Materials Only
Want to teach your child from home without the need of a tutor? For $300, you can have access to all our learning materials and our online portal.
Get started by filling out this form for a no-obligation follow up from us
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my child have to attend Hebrew school? Do we have to attend Shabbat services or holidays? What other commitments do we have to make?
None! You only have to participate in as much of Kehillah’s programming as you want, no judgements whatsoever.
Where do we hold the ceremony? And when is the ceremony?
You are welcome to have your ceremony anywhere that you would like. We serve bar mitzvah/bat mitzvah families in Richmond, Chesterfield, Charlottesville, Petersburg, Powhatan, Charlottesville, Virginia Beach, Chesterfield, Norfolk and the DC metro area.
Some families rent a venue, some hold the ceremony in their back yard. You can also Zoom guests into the event.
The ceremony takes place on Shabbat (Saturday) morning or afternoon. The siddur is written to accommodate any time.
We are not religious. Will you work with us? What is a service like?
We can provide a ceremony in any style you would like using Conservative, Reform or Secular Humanistic readings and interpretations.
It is unlikely that my child will learn Hebrew or have time for any
significant tutoring, but we still want a b’nai mitzvah. How do we do
Our condensed service is perfect for a family who wants the experience of the traditional bar or bat mitzvah, but understanding that families are busy and cannot commit to the kind of tutoring it would take for a full ceremony.
We are an interfaith family. Is that OK?
Yes! We’re honored to work with you.
Do you work with LGBTQ families or gender non-conforming children?
Gladly! We are the only Jewish presence at the annual VA Pride.
I have another question. Who should I talk to?
Reach out to our B’nai Mitzvah Educator, Edva Kashi at EdvaKashiMSW@gmail.com